THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Layered Chocolate Dream Pavlova
By THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Preparation 25 MINS
Cooking 1 HR 0 MINS
Christmas is all about Pav and fresh berries! But to really impress… make it chocolate! Of course, you can use this coffee, chocolate and marsala spiked cream ontop of your regular pav, or sandwiched between your favourite chocolate cake!
Ingredients6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon cornflour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup flaked almonds
100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
300ml thickened cream
1 tablespoon marsala (optional)
2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
200ml crème fraiche
500g fresh mixed berries
Tip: Use a few dollops of meringue to stick the baking paper to the oven trays to help stop the paper slipping when you spread the meringue. The meringues can be made a day ahead and stored in an airtight container. The chocolate cream can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated.
- Draw a 20cm circle on 3 pieces baking paper and line 3 baking trays. Preheat oven to 120°C.
- Use an electric mixer to beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating well between additions until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla until combined. Divide the meringue between the prepared trays and spread evenly to the edges of the circles. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 120°C for 50-60 minutes, rotating the trays every 20 minutes, or until firm to touch. Turn off oven. Leave meringues in the oven, with the door ajar, to cool completely.
- To make chocolate cream, bring 100ml of the cream, marsala and coffee powder just to the boil in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and add chocolate, stirring until melted and smooth. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Beat the crème fraiche and the remaining cream together with an electric mixer until firm peaks just form. Do not over-beat. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and fold together until combined. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until thickened slightly, if necessary.
- Place one meringue disk on a serving plate and spread with half the chocolate cream. Repeat with remaining meringue and chocolate cream, finishing with the last meringue. Scatter with berries and serve.