THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Chocolate and Pistachio Ice Cream Cake with Hot Chocolate Sauce
By THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Preparation 30 MINS
Cooking 50 MINS
This impressive dessert is always a hit and if you are really short on time, just buy a good quality chocolate cake and fill with the pistachio gelato.
Ingredients250g dark chocolate
1/3 cup milk
3/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup self-raising flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup creme fraiche or thickened cream
100g dark chocolate
750ml Cocolat Pistachio Gelato
- Gently melt chocolate, butter and milk together in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Beat eggs sugar with an electric mixer until thick and pale. Gently fold in the chocolate mixture. Sift flour and cocoa over the batter and fold gently to combine.
- Pour mixture into buttered, side and base lined 23cm cake pan and bake at 160°C (150°C fan forced) for 45-50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool for 5 minutes in pan before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice cake in half using a serated knife and refrigerate until chilled.
For Chocolate Sauce
- Heat cream in a small saucepan until just simmering. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted and smooth. Keep warm.
Just before serving
- Place bottom half of cake onto a serving platter, scoop gelato onto the cake to cover and sandwich with top half of the cake, press firmly to secure. At the table smother the cake in some of the warm sauce. Slice and serve immediately with extra sauce.