THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Chocolate and Hazelnut Meringue Torte with Strawberry Cream
By THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Preparation 30 MINS
Cooking 1 HR 15 MINS
Crispy chocolate and hazelnut meringue filled with velvety cream and strawberries. Watch it disappear very quickly.
Ingredients6 egg whites
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup ground hazelnuts
1 tablespoon cocoa powder, sifted
600ml thickened cream
185g dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g punnet strawberries, hulled and chopped
extra cocoa, for dusting
- Beat egg whites with an electric beater until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar until dissolved. Beat in remaining sugar a little at a time until thick and glossy. Stir in hazelnuts and cocoa.
- Spread 3 (30x12cm) rectangular shapes of mixture onto baking paper lined trays. Place into a pre-heated oven at 140°C and immediately reduce temperature to 120°C. Bake for 1 1/4 hours. Turn oven off and allow meringues to cool in the oven with door ajar.
- Place 100ml cream in a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in chocolate until melted. Cool slightly.
- Whip remaining cream and vanilla until soft peaks form and fold through chopped strawberries. To assemble, layer meringue rectangles with chocolate and strawberry cream, finishing with chocolate. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- To serve, dust torte with cocoa, cut into slices and serve with extra strawberries.