THE DAIRY KITCHEN
Cheese, chive and pumpkin muffins
By Joel Feren
Preparation 30 MINS
Cooking 30 MINS
Try these easy savoury muffins by dietitian Joel Feren, they are wonderfully tasty, perfect for lunches and also packed with calcium for strong bones!
Ingredients250g butternut pumpkin, chopped into 1cm cubes
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil + extra 1 tablespoon for roasting pumpkin
2 1/2 cups spelt flour*, sifted
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder, sifted
1 cup milk
½ cup Greek-style yoghurt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup tasty/cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
100g feta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon chopped chives,
salt and pepper
*Spelt is an ancient type of wheat, which adds a lovely nutty flavour to these muffins. You could also use plain flour or wholemeal flour for this recipe.
Nutrition (per serve)
|Dietry Fibre (g)||2.6|
|Fat Total (g)||14.3|
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease muffin tray with spray oil.
- Place pumpkin on a baking tray, coat with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and roast for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl sift flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk, yoghurt, egg, ¼ cup oil, garlic, chives, tasty cheese, parmesan cheese, feta. Add salt and pepper to taste.Make a well in centre of dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients and roasted pumpkin. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon mix into muffin tray and cook for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.